416-703-2402 Local
1-888-378-3388 Toll Free

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I pay for your services?

We work on contingency. This means that our fees are a proportion of your award. If you win nothing, you owe us nothing. If your award is small, so are our fees. Also our firm pays for all disbursements and expenses. You pay nothing unless we win your case by verdict or settlement.

I was in a car accident and it was my fault. Can I sue for damages?

If the accident was 100 percent your fault, you cannot sue the other driver for damages. However, you are still entitled to benefits under Ontario’s no-fault accident benefits insurance. Moreover, fault is often not considered to be 100 percent. Come and talk to us about the circumstances of your accident so we can find out who else may have been responsible.

I was in a car accident and the insurance company wants me to fill out a bunch of forms. What should I do?

Talk to us first. Many of the forms can be confusing, and anything you put on a form may be used against you later. Our consultation is free, and we can counsel you to avoid common pitfalls such as agreeing that your injuries fall under the Minor Injury Guidelines (“MIG”).

The insurance company or the adjuster of the driver who hit me wants to talk to me. Do I have to talk to them?

No. It is much better not to. They can speak to your lawyer at Bougadis, Chang LLP, Barristers, instead.

I was injured on City property. What should I do?

Do not wait to see how well you recover! If you think you may have suffered a serious injury, put in a written notice to the City within ten (10) days of your accident. If this time has passed, come and talk to us. In very rare cases, exceptions can be made to this ten (10) days written notice period.

My child was injured at a friend’s house. I don’t want our friends to suffer, but there is nobody else to sue for damages.

Your friends have homeowners’ insurance for a reason. The money that your child needs to recover will come from their insurance company.

Will I have to go to Court if I sue?

The vast majority of cases settle out of Court, i.e. eighty-five (85%) of all Bougadis Law Professional Corporation, Barristers’ cases settle before Trial. We will never push you to go to Court if it is not in your best interests, but, sometimes, insurance companies make unreasonable offers simply because they believe you will avoid Court if at all possible. We will tell you if we think that is the case for you and present you with your options, our risk assessment, damages, valuation, and, then in consultation with you and your family members, seek your informal written consent and instruction long before Trial.

What can I do if I don’t ever recover enough to get my old job back?

Talk to us about Long Term Disability. Depending on your injuries, how they affect your ability to do your previous job and your particular insurance plan, you may be able to get compensation even if you are recovered enough to work, but not as well as you did before your accident.

What if I’m hit by a car while walking and I don’t have insurance?

The insurance company of the car driver must pay you no-fault accident benefits, and you can also sue the driver for damages. Even if the driver and the owner of the car that hit you has no valid insurance, you will still have coverage under Ontario’s no-fault accident benefits insurance law.

Contact Us

For more answers to your questions, contact Bougadis Law Professional Corporation in the Greater Toronto Area at 416-703-2402 to set up a free initial consultation.