Pedestrian and Cyclist Accidents in Greater Toronto Area
Pedestrian and cyclist are obviously vulnerable amidst cars and trucks on the road.
The City of Toronto programs dealing with pedestrian and cyclist accidents include:
• A pedestrian safety advertising campaign – over 2,000 pedestrians are injured in Toronto each year; and
• The Pedestrian Safety City of Toronto Walking Strategy dealing with pedestrian safety issues.
Also helpful is the Toronto Star’s map of GTA fatal traffic accidents since January 1, 2008.
The Province of Ontario’s Road Safety initiative for Pedestrians and Cyclists provides some educational materials.
Safe Kids Canada also has a Child Pedestrian Safety Program and various other information.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents in Ottawa, Hamilton and London (Ontario)
The City of Ottawa’s Pedestrian and Cycling Safety plan indicates approximately 1,500 injuries and 30 deaths between 2004 – 2008.
The City of Hamilton’s Pedestrian Safety Program also focuses on Child Pedestrian Safety and the Active & Safe Walking Routes to School for Kids program.
Pedestrians and Bicycle Riders Killed in Greater Toronto Area
• January 12, 2010 – 28 year old woman, Marites Mendoza, killed by car at Eglinton Avenue West and Martin Grove Road;
• January 12, 2010 – 17 year old boy, Steven Seixeiro, killed by truck at Rutherford Road and Keele Street;
• January 12, 2010 – 80 year old woman, Nouhad-Nicholas Al-Kassouf, killed by car on Dundas Street West at Roncesvalles Avenue;
• January 14, 2010 – 24 year old woman, Gurleen Thabal, killed by bus on Steeles Avenue, Brampton;
• January 18, 2010 – 60 year old woman killed by bus at Mount Pleasant Road and Eglinton Avenue East;
• January 17, 2010 - 54 year old male killed by a tow truck while walking with wife and their child in a stroller, on Hurontario Street at Queensway;
• January 18, 2010 - 75 year old male, Charles Wood, killed in a hit and run accident on Briarwood Avenue in Port Credit;
• January 19, 2010 – 76 year old female killed by a van on Rutherford Road near Highway 400;
• January 20, 2010 – woman in her mid-30’s killed by a minivan on Dufferin Street near Eglinton Avenue West;
• January 23, 2010 – 57 year old man, Chen Chung Shao, killed by a dump truck on Danforth Avenue at Broadview Avenue;
• January 24, 2010 - 35 year old man hit by streetcar on Queen Street near Broadview Avenue dies from his injuries;
• January 25, 2010 - 38 year woman hit by suv on Davenport Road and Symington Avenue;